Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Boombox Hoodie / Musical Youth



Apparel designers take note!
Unless you are a socially concious designer, someone who would rather miss out on an opportunity to craft something of potentially exciting proportions than earn the title of 'bane' to future persons enforceably encountering a piece of your work, this piece of information could well serve you as inspiring.

I spotted, or rather heard this young chap, swaggering his way down London's busy shopping mecca stretch that is Oxford Street, geometrically flanked by two similarly sporty casual tracksuit donning youths. Being used to the sound of crappy mobile phone speakers spitting out horrid tones of modern symphonies, I was caught off guard as I neared these guys in a manouevre to quickly shimmy past them on the busy pavement, when the clarity of what could only be some form of mobile music device suddenly rang clear. Unbelieveably clear. I slowed up. Take two. Yes, somehow these guys were drawing enjoyment from a communal music source far superior to the regularly flaunted mobile phone. I tailed them for a moment before politely stopping the chaps to ask what device it was they were listening to. With a very defensive tone and a swift hand signal like chop the ring leader clarified that the sounds were coming from the portable speakers he had strategically placed in the hood of his sporty track top.
I laughed to myself and walked on before having the sudden urge to document this interesting observation I had just made. Looking back to see where these guys were I saw them slip between two double decker buses, cross the street and disappear into Footlocker. In to Footlocker I strolled, cueing my camera and prepping myself for Approach No.2, the result of which is posted above. The future of the hoodie? A potential USP in here somewhere?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home