Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wooden cars to make a comeback



When I heard that classic, or should I say vintage, wooden panelled cars were all the rage in Southern California, particularly amongst the surf set, I naively thought to myself "Sure, it's probably just a bunch of hippies who cant afford a new car", but I was wrong. Initially picked up because of their exremely low trade values, surfers would buy 'woodies' as the cheapest means of getting around town with their hefty surf gear. It wasn't long after that the love affair with woodies evolved. Afterall, anything made of wood that is continually exposed to the elements requires regular care and attention in order to sustain and maintain some level of reliable performance. Over the years these wood panelled wagons have become extremely desirable, some fectching ridiculously high trade values. Yet, for me, it's not about the 'cool trend' that it seems to be, but the potential application such a concept may have in a future context. As everything seems to be going 'green', including the facade of my local McDonalds, I expect that we will see a whole lot more goods, products and services carefully packaged in an aesthetic that says "eco-friendly" or "sustainable", largely because people want to take part, participate in the 'make our world a better place' project. With this in mind, would it not be 'eco-friendly' for car plants to harness the wood panel concept and reduce the extent to which they rely on metals, at the same time giving the people the opprtuinty to say "Hey! Look at me, my car is 50% sustainable sources. I'm greener than you are". Why not extend the idea to smart cars, instead of plastic intechangeable panels it's all about screwing on to a wooden framework. Totally sustainable urban friendly wheels? Radical no?

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:08 PM  
Blogger G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

Love,love,LOVE 'em!ps:you got opportunity spelled wrong....:)

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home